from Coast Guard Historians Office
Photo taken in 1946
Built in 1838 at the northwestern end of the Maurice River
Cove at 39° 10' 44" latitude by 75° 08' 13" longitude. An
1838 inspection report describes the lighthouse as a
"Light on keeper's dwelling; burns ten lamps with
parabolic reflectors. The lamps badly constructed; house
negligently built, and materials bad; several panes of
glass in the lantern broken; the walls beginning to
crack." This for a lighthouse that was barely a year old.
The lighthouse was built on an island and reachable only
by boat. The lighthouse had a revolving kerosene light and
clockwork that was wound with a crank. The interior of the
lighthouse had a hard wood finish and a large fireplace.
There was a cove and a little creek ran from the cove.
Supplies came into the creek in a long-boat. A small crane
with a wheel wound the supplies into the dock. The light
was believed automated around 1935.
The Egg Island Lighthouse was destroyed by fire on August
20, 1950. The fire was allegedly begun by two fishermen
who had entered the abandoned lighthouse and started a
fire to dry their clothes.