Both photos from
Coast Guard Historians Office
The Deepwater Range lights were first lighted the night of November 15,
1876. The front range stood in the village of Deepwater, New Jersey on
the north side of the Salem Canal at 39° 41' 12" north latitude by
30' 34" west longitude. The Front Range was nearly identical to the
Finns Point Front Range light and may have been based upon the same
plan. The Deepwater front light had large black daymarks comprised of
horizontal slates. The rear range light was an iron tower much like the
present Finns Point Rear Range.
Both front and rear range lights were automated 1937-1938. The rear
range light was believed to have been torn down shortly thereafter.
The Front Range was decommissioned in 1952. The Dupont Corporation
purchased the property and built a factory upon the site and the
surrounding area. The Rear range light was torn down in 1956. It was
the construction of the Delaware Memorial Bridge in 1951 that made the