Built in 1908, the steel-hulled Ambrose Lightship was
stationed at the mouth of lower New York Bay between Coney
Island, Brooklyn, New York and Sandy Hook, New Jersey.
From this station, she was able to safely guide shipping
in and out of this busy harbor through an area filled with
invisible navigation hazards such as sand bars and shoals.
The Ambrose lightship station was one of the two markers
which were used to gauge a transatlantic liner's travel
time to determine if it would hold the Blue Ribbon.
The Ambrose was stationed in the Ambrose Channel until
1937 and then served as the Scotland Lightship close to
Sandy Hook until 1963. The U.S. Coast Guard donated her to
the South Street Seaport Museum in 1968. The last official
designation for this vessel was WAL-512.
The Ambrose Channel's last lightship was replaced in 1964
by a tower built in four tall legs anchored to the sea
bottom. The tower has comfortable quarters for Coast Guard
personnel and a helipad for resupplying but the living
spaces have been vacant since 1988 when the station was